Veggie Cheese Sandwich is a simple and quick recipe. It is loaded with cheese and mixed veggies with buttery toasted bread; it is great to have anytime (breakfast or as evening snack). I love sandwiches…they are easy to make, easy to eat and very very easy to finish. Yum!
Cooking time: 20 – 25 mins
8 slices wheat or white bread
¼ cup green bell pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
¼ cup potatoes, boiled and mashed
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
¼ cup cabbage, finely chopped (optional)
2 green chilies, finely chopped
2 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves / kothambir), finely chopped
¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ cup white cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Sesame seeds, as required
Red chili flakes, for seasoning as required (optional)
Black pepper, as required
1 tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
In a bowl, take the mashed potatoes, green capsicum, onion, cabbage, green chilies, coriander leaves, mozzarella cheese and white cheese. Gently mix everything together and keep aside.
1. Take two slices of bread.
2. Spread the stuffing on one slice of bread evenly, till it covers the whole slice.
3. Sprinkle red chili flakes on top (optional).
4. Place the other slice of bread on top of the stuffing layer and press it down slightly.
5. Spread some salted butter (kept at room temperature) on top of the bread. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the butter layer and then move the butter-knife on top making sure the sesame seeds stick to the bread.
6. Heat a pan on medium flame. Once the pan is hot enough, place the sandwich, butter side down on the pan. Place a plate on top of the sandwich and press it down a little.
7. Remove plate after 2-3 minutes and check if the bottom side is crispy.
8. On the other side of the sandwich, repeat the same procedure of spreading butter and sprinkling it with sesame seeds.
9. Flip the sandwich and keep it on the pan until the other side is crispy as well.
10. Remove the crispy sandwich from the pan onto a plate.
Cut the sandwich diagonally into 2 triangular pieces and serve it hot with fresh green chutney or tomato ketchup.
spoonful O’ tips
Sesame seeds adds a crunch to the sandwich, but it is optional.