Cooking time: 20 – 25 mins
3 cups flattened rice (thick poha)
2 tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
¾ tsp turmeric
½ tsp red chili powder, or adjust as per spice tolerance
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
5-6 curry leaves (kadipatta)
3 green chilies, vertically slit
1½ tbsp peanuts, roasted and crushed (optional)
1½ onion, medium sized, coarsely sliced
1 potato, medium sized, small cubes
1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves / kothambir), chopped
Lemon juice, or as required
1. Rinse poha under water in a strainer until they soften and completely lose their crunchiness.
2. Now add to it 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp red chili powder and 1 tsp sugar. Gently mix everything together and set aside.
1. In a pan, heat oil. Add curry leaves, slit green chilies and saute for few seconds. Then add sliced onions and saute till they become translucent.
2. Add peanuts and stir. (optional)
3. Add cubed potatoes and 1 tsp salt to the pan. Stir and add ¼ tsp turmeric to the pan (turmeric stops the onion from cooking). Cover with lid and keep on medium heat until potato cubes are completely cooked.
4. Add poha to the pan and stir. Cover with lid and steam poha on low heat for 1½ mins. Switch off heat and keep poha covered for 2 mins.
5. Remove the lid and drizzle some lemon juice and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serve with a cup of piping hot ginger tea!
spoonful O’ tips
Adding peanuts is optional, but it gives a crunch to poha.