Cooking time: 30 mins
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
4 tsp dry basil powder
2 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
2 tsp oregano, dried
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp red pepper, ground
6 tilapia, fillets, medium size
1½ tsp salt, or as per taste
Lemon juice, as per taste
Spring onion (scallions), roughly chopped, for garnish
In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients (paprika, basil, cumin, oregano, garlic, onion, black pepper powder, ground red pepper and salt) together to make the blackening powder.
1. Preheat oven to 400 ° F. Place aluminium foil over a baking tray and coat it with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
2. Rinse and pat dry tilapia fillet. Then moisten both sides of the fish with olive oil and completely coat it with the blackening powder (Use approximately 1 tbsp powder to coat each fillet). Coat and place the fillets on the baking tray.
3. Drizzle a little oil over the fillet (optional).
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the fillets turn deep brown and look crispy.
5. Broil for 2 mins more on low heat for extra crispiness.
6. Drizzle lemon juice over the fillet for a bit of acidity.
Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.