Cooking time: 50 mins
4 potatoes, medium size
1 cup carrots, chopped
1½ cups green bell pepper (capsicum), chopped
2 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 cup green peas
1 tbsp oil
½ cube of 500g Amul butter (approximately), for frying and added taste
1 onion, large size, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, medium size
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder, adjust for spiciness
2 tbsp + 3 tsp pav bhaji masala (or adjust as per spice tolerance)
3 tsp salt, adjust as per taste
1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped for garnish
Lemon, for garnish
Pav (Dinner rolls) / Slice bread, toasted in Amul butter
Pressure cook for 2 whistles potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, capsicum and peas with ½ tsp salt and 2 cups of water. Pour everything into a colander/strainer and drain the vegetable stock into a vessel to store for later use. Mash all the cooked vegetables using a masher and keep aside.
1. Take tomatoes in a glass container with a lid and microwave for 1½ min, or until the tomatoes are tender (microwaving tomatoes makes it easier to puree tomato skins). Then transfer them into a blender and puree them until smooth. Remove the puree into a bowl and keep aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter on medium heat in a large wok. Add onion and saute for 3 mins.
3. Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Mix well and saute for 1 min.
4. Once the onions soften, add the tomato puree to it and cook on medium heat until oil starts to separate.
5. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, 2 tbsp Pav bhaji masala and 2 tsp salt. Mix everything together, cook for 3 mins and turn off heat. Add the mashed vegetables to the wok and mix everything together.
6. Divide the mashed vegetable mixture in 6 portions. (1 cup each)
7. Start a frying pan on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp butter to the pan and let it melt. Then add 1 cup cooked mixture, ½ tsp Pav bhaji masala, 1/8 tsp salt and ¼ cup of vegetable stock or water to the pan. Mash everything together on medium heat. Add a little butter on top (optional) and mix well. Transfer into serving bowl and keep aside.
8. Repeat the same procedure for the remaining (5 cups or portions of) cooked mixture until everything is transferred to the serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot on a plate with buttered pav, finely chopped onion and lemon wedges on the side.