Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
5 chicken drumsticks, skinless and frenched
2 dry red chilies
½ tbsp ginger, roughly chopped
½ tbsp garlic, roughly chopped
¼ tsp red chili powder
½ tsp black pepper powder
¼ tsp salt,adjust to taste
½ tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp vinegar
1½ tbsp tomato ketchup
1½ tbsp all-purpose flour (maida)
1½ tbsp cornflour
Oil, for deep frying
1. Place drumsticks on a cutting board and use a knife to cut through the tapering side, completely separating the drummette and drumsticks. Then holding the exposed bone from one side, push all the meat to the other end of the drumstick to form a long bone with lump of meat on top. Keep aside.
2. Grind dry red chilies, ginger, garlic and black pepper powder together in a mixer-grinder. If required, add a little warm water to grind into a fine paste. Keep aside.
3. Take drumsticks in a large bowl. Add red chilies paste, red chili powder, salt, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato ketchup. Mix and marinate for 30 mins.
4. After marination, add cornflour and maida to the bowl and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a kadai / deep frying pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot and starts to smoke slightly, drop the coated drumstick in the kadai. Reduce the heat to medium-low and deep fry for 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked internally. Then increase the heat to high and fry until the coating is crispy.
6. Once cooked and crispy, using a big slotted spoon, lift the drumsticks, drain the oil and remove them on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
spoonful O’ tips
1. After step 1, the drumsticks should look like a lollipop.
2. Instead of using mixture of maida and cornflour. You can also use 3 tbsp maida or 3 tbsp cornflour.