Cooking time: 1½ hr
3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 bunch black raisins (kishmish)
1 bunch pistachios (pista)
6 almonds (badam), thinly sliced (optional)
3 cups carrot (gajar), peeled and grated
3 cups milk, full fat
8 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp cardamom powder (elaichi)
1 pinch saffron (kesar)
1. Heat ½ tbsp ghee in a kadai / flat pan on medium heat and roast raisins and pistachios until slightly browned. Remove into a bowl and keep aside.
2. In the same kadai, add grated carrots, milk and sugar. Mix and bring the mixture to a boil on medium flame.
3. Once the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer. Keep stirring the mixture.
4. Once the milk in the mixture has reduced by 75%, add 2 tbsp ghee and mix everything together.
5. Continue to simmer the mixture on low heat until the milk completely evaporates. Then turn off the heat.
6. Add ½ tbsp ghee, cardamom powder, crushed saffron and mix everything together.
7. Garnish with raisins, pistachios and sliced almonds. Serve hot, warm or cold based on your preference.
Extremely decadent, a house favorite. Enjoy!