Chili-Garlic Paste is a versatile paste that is used as a base in many Indian preparations. On cooking the pureed raw ingredients of the paste, it becomes aromatic and gives the dish a very garlicky spicy taste.
Just one spoon of paste is extremely hot, fiery and packed with a garlicky punch!
Makes: ¾ cup
Cooking time: 15 mins
20 dry red chilies
10 cloves of garlic, medium size
1½ tbsp salt, or adjust as per taste
1. Soak dry red chilies in 1½ cup hot water for 10 mins.
2. After 10 mins, drain water into a vessel and add chilies to a mixer-blender.
3. Add garlic and salt to the mix-blender. Add to it a small amount of drained water and grind everything together.
4. Process to a fine paste, adding enough water to achieve a thick consistency.
Freshly prepared Chili-Garlic paste can be used in multiple curries and Mumbai street food preparations like Masala Pav, etc. Ready to refrigerate and store in an airtight container for 7-8 days.
1. I have used dried Kashmiri red chilies for this recipe.
2. Chilies are really hot. Use rubber gloves or wash your hands with soap every time you touch chilies. Be very careful not to touch your eyes after touching them.