Moong Urad Dal Vada is a blend of moong dal and urad dal with a combination of handful of spices. Moong dal and rava makes the vadas crispy on the outside and with use of urad dal it become soft on the inside. It is a great breakfast and evening snack, just serve it with chutney and a cup of piping hot ginger tea.
Cooking time: 25 – 30 mins
½ cup split dehusked black gram (urad dal)
½ cup split dehusked mung beans (moong dal)
3 tbsp coarse semolina (cream of wheat / rava)
½ inch ginger, chopped
1 green chili
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp black pepper powder
1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves / kothambir), chopped
1 tbsp curry leaves, cut into pieces
1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
1½ tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
Oil, for frying
1. Combine urad dal and moong dal together, rinse and soak them in 3 cups of water overnight.
2. Drain urad and moong dal, and add it to the mixer-grinder.
3. Add ginger, green chili, hing and ¼ cup warm water to the mixer-grinder and grind for 1 min. Add little warm water to it and grind further until it forms a smooth paste of semi-thick consistency.
4. Remove the batter into a bowl and add cumin seeds, chopped coriander leaves, chopped curry leaves, black pepper powder, rava and salt.
Mix everything together.
5. Heat oil on medium heat in a deep frying pan or fryer.
6. When the oil is hot, scoop some batter with a spoon and drop it in the fryer. Deep fry until golden brown in color.
7. Once crispy, using a slotted spoon, lift the golden ball, drain the oil and remove them on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
Serve hot with Mint-Coriander Green Chutney or Coconut chutney.
spoonful O’ tips
1. For extra crispy vadas, add more rava or baking soda to the batter.
2. The same recipe can be made with just urad dal (Urad Dal Vada) or just moong dal (Moong Dal Vada), and also by adding Chana dal to the recipe with other two dals (Mixed Dal Vada).