In konkani “sol” means Kokum (essentially dried peels of the Kokum fruit), that along with coconut milk is combined to make this appetizing drink. Sol Kadi reminds me of my school summer holidays, I spent at my Nani’s (maternal grandmother’s) place. She made sol kadhi everyday from fresh grated creamy coconuts; it was like a ritual. I loved eating it with rice plus having a full glass of it after a wholesome meal. It’s truly refreshing and great for digestion!
Any Goan meal is incomplete without Sol kadhi and any goan, no matter how full or stuffed, will always have place in their tummy for a glass of Sol kadhi (just like me)!
Cooking time: 20 mins
7-8 kokum (sol)
1 cup coconut, freshly grated
2 cloves garlic, medium size
2 green chilies, mediun size
½ tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
1 tbsp coriander, for garnish
1. Soak kokum in 1 cup warm water. Keep aside for 2-3 hrs.
2. Combine freshly grated coconut, garlic, green chilies and ¾ cup warm water in a mixer. Grind for 2 mins. Then keep a strainer over a large bowl, pour the thick coconut paste into the strainer, press and squeeze the milk out of the coconut paste into the large bowl. Keep bowl aside.
3. Put the squeezed coconut back into the mixer. Add more ¾ cup warm water. Grind further for 1 min. Repeat the same procedure and extract the milk in the same large bowl.
4. Put the squeezed coconut back into the mixer and repeat the procedure once more or until all the milk is extracted from the coconut.
5. Strain the kokum water into the coconut milk and discard the kokum. Add salt and mix well till it turns light pink in color. Keep it aside to rest for at least 1 hr.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or pour into a glass for a refreshing drink!
spoonful O’ tips
1. The extracting procedure can be repeated multiple times. But the milk gets thinner every time it is extracted from the coconut. If you want a thicker creamy kadhi, extract milk only 3 times as I did.
2. After the kadhi is ready, you can keep it to rest for 1 hr in the refrigerator and enjoy it chilled.