Bhindi masala is a tasty dish in North Indian cuisine. Everybody in my family loves this recipe. Fried okra tossed in creamy onion-tomato spiced gravy. Frying the okra gives the dish a good crunch along with its little sweetness and the tanginess of tomatoes makes the dish very very delicious.
Cooking time: 45 mins
1½ cup tomato, roughly chopped
1 inch ginger (ala)
8 cloves garlic (lasun)
4 green chilies, medium size
4 cloves (lavang)
2 green cardamom (elaichi)
4 cups okra (bhindi), cut in half 1½ inch pieces
5 tbsp oil
1 onion, large size, finely chopped
2 bay leaf, medium size
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chili powder (mirchi)
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder (dhane-jeera)
10 tbsp cream
1 tsp fenugreek powder (kasuri methi)
1½ tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
Combine roughly chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chilies, cloves and green cardamom in a mixer-grinder container. Puree it into a smooth paste and keep aside.
1. Rinse, pat dry, trim both ends and cut bhindi into 1½ inch pieces.
2. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat and fry bhindi for 15 mins or until it is crispy and completely cooked. Then remove bhindi onto a plate and keep aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan on medium heat. Add bay leaf and saute for 15 sec and add finely chopped onions. Saute until onions turn light golden.
4. Once the onions soften, reduce the heat to low. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander-cumin powder to the pan. Mix together.
5. Add the pureed masala paste and cream to the pan. Mix well and saute on medium-low flame until the paste thickens.
6. Add ¾ cup water and salt to the pan. Mix well and bring the gravy to a boil on medium-high heat for 5 mins to get a semi-thick gravy. Turn off heat.
7. Immediately, Add bhindi, sprinkle kasuri methi and mix everything together.
Serve hot with naan or roti.
spoonful O’ tips
1. Make sure to reduce the flame to low while adding the spices so that they don’t get burned.
2. Add only ½ cup water to get a thick gravy.
3. Do not cook bhindi in the gravy or else it will get mushy. Adding bhindi to hot gravy, infuses the flavor of bhindi into the gravy.