Who doesn’t love jelly and ice-cream? Here is a two-in-one dish, Orange Jelly Ice-cream, jelly and ice-cream combined in one delicious treat.
The first time I had it was at a relatives party and it was love at first bite 😛 I did try getting the recipe, but all I got to know was mix jelly and ice-cream and the dessert is ready. The next day itself I tried it at home and it wasn’t the same. I knew there was more to the recipe so I started experimenting (with the ratio of jelly to be added to the amount of ice-cream) and it went on for days. Finally two weeks later I had the perfect recipe and the delicious dessert in hand. Phew! But those two weeks were my mom’s favorite days, she got ice-cream everyday after dinner and wished it had never ended 😛
Orange Jelly Ice-cream is a no-fuss, simple dessert perfect for any fancy party. Try it and you will fall in love with it too!
Cooking time: 25-30 mins
2 cups vanilla ice-cream
85 gms orange jelly powder (orange JELL-O)
¼ tsp gelatin, unflavored (I used Knox gelatin)
1 tbsp orange concentrate (powder) or orange crush (or adjust as per taste)
orange slices, for garnish
Mint leaf, for garnish
1. Take ice-cream in a bowl and let it melt completely at room temperature.
2. Boil 1½ cup water on medium heat and add orange jelly powder to it. Stir well, let it completely dissolve and turn off heat.
3. Let the hot orange liquid rest until it is slightly lukewarm.
4. Once lukewarm, add gelatin to it and stir well completely dissolving it. Keep the orange liquid aside, let it cool down to room temperature and keep stirring occasionally making sure that the jelly doesn’t start to set.
5. Then slowly add the liquid to the melted ice-cream, stir and mix well.
6. Add orange concentrate or crush and mix everything together.
7. Pour the orange jelly ice-cream mixture into dessert serving bowls and put them into the refrigerator to chill for at least 5 hrs.
Garnished with orange and mint leaf. Enjoy chilled!
spoonful O’ tips
1. You can use any brand of ice-cream but I prefer Turkey Hill Vanilla Bean All Natural Ice Cream.
2. Make sure not to add gelatin to boiling water because it reduces its gelling abilities and your dessert might not set properly.
3. While dissolving gelatin make sure no lumps remain in the orange liquid.
4. I usually let the dessert set overnight in the refrigerator.
5. If you like you can also add orange pieces to the jelly ice-cream mixture and then put it to chill.
6. The same recipe can be made with different flavors of jelly powder and vanilla ice-cream.