Tawa Paneer Masala is a delicious tangy- Spicy North Indian dish. It is one of the most simple and very quick paneer recipe, and as the name suggests this dish is cooked on a “Tawa” (a frying pan). Cooking the masala on tawa releases an irresistible aroma and gives the dish an unique flavor.
Paneer Masala is a semi-dry preparation of veggies and succulent paneer cubes cooked in tangy masala with spice powders, especially the Pav Bhaji masala powder enhances the taste. This tasty delicious dish is apt for any potluck, parties and special occasions. Enjoy!
Cooking time: 40 mins
500 grams (2 cups) Paneer (Farmer Cheese), cut in 1 inch cubes
1½ onion, large size, finely chopped
1½ green bell peppers (capsicum), finely chopped
6 tomatoes, medium size
10 cloves garlic (lasun), medium size
2 inch ginger
3 green chilies
2 tsp coriander – cumin (dhane – jeera) powder
2 tsp Pav Bhaji masala powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder, or adjust as per spice tolerance
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp dried kasuri methi
1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves / kothambir), finely chopped
1½ tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
1. Heat pan on low heat, place the paneer cubes on the tawa (a large flat frying pan) and sprinkle a little salt over it. Flip the paneer in 15-20 sec and in another 15 sec, remove from tawa. Transfer them in a plate and keep aside.
2. Take tomatoes in a container with a lid and microwave for 2 min, warm enough until the tomatoes are tender.(Microwaving the tomatoes makes it easier to puree tomato skins). Then transfer them into a blender, let it cool down then add ginger, garlic, green chilies and puree them until smooth. Remove into a bowl and keep aside.
3. Finely chop onions and green bell peppers. Keep aside.
4. Melt butter on medium heat in a tawa. Add onion and saute for 5 mins or until they soften.
5. Once the onions soften, add bell peppers and saute for 3 mins.
6. Add coriander – cumin powder, Pav Bhaji masala, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Mix well and cook for 1 min.
7. Then add tomato puree to the tawa and cook for 10 mins on medium heat. Cook until butter starts releasing from the side and the masala thickened.
8. Add salt. Mix and saute for 1 min.
9. Then add toasted paneer cubes and mix gently completely coating paneer with masala evenly. Cook for 2 mins and turn off flame.
10. Sprinkle dried (crushed) kasuri methi and stir gently.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or naan.
1. Slightly toasting the paneer makes its outer surface slightly hard and prevents it from breaking into pieces when tossed in the gravy.
2. If the tomato masala turns too dry then add 2 tbsp water to the pan and continue cooking.