Masoor Palak is a easy and super flavorful traditional dish that my granny and mom very frequently prepared in our house. The coconut based curry is delicious and at the same time fully packed with nutrition. Everyone in my family loves this preparation!
The secret to this dish is the fresh spices and freshly grated coconut ground together, which gives the curry a very unique taste. It is a simple curry with Konkani flavors, very nutritious and a truly satisfying healthy meal. Enjoy it with roti, phulkas or a bowl of steamed rice.
Cooking time: 30 mins
½ bunch spinach (palak)
½ cup Indian brown lentil (masoor)
1½ cup onion, chopped
½ tbsp oil
1 tomato, small size, chopped
3½ tbsp coconut, grated
1 tbsp coriander seeds (dhane)
2 cloves (lavang)
½ tsp black pepper powder (miri)
½ tsp khuskhus (poppy seeds)
1 garlic, large size
1 tsp garam masala, or adjust as per spice tolerance
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt, or adjust as per taste
Combine coconut, coriander seeds, cloves, black pepper powder, khuskhus, garlic, ¾ of the roughly chopped onion, garam masala and turmeric powder together in a mixer-grinder. Add little warm water and grind into a fine paste. Keep aside.
1. Soak brown lentil (masoor) overnight or at least 2 hrs. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add the remaining chopped onion to the kadai and saute for 4 mins or until transparent.
3. Add masoor and 1 cup water to the kadai. Mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook until masoor is completely cooked.
4. Once the masoor is completely cooked, uncover the kadai, add spinach and chopped tomato to the kadai. Mix together and cook for 5 mins.
5. Add the ground onion-coconut masala and 1½ cup water to the kadai. Mix everything together.
6. Then add salt to the kadai and bring the curry to a boil.
Serve with rotis or white steamed rice.
spoonful O’ tips
1. Covering the kadai with a lid would help keep steam trapped inside the kadai and help (brown lentil) masoor cook faster.
2. Keep checking so that the kadai doesn’t boil dry and add water if required.